Sunday, February 14, 2010

Bonded to a passion ?

And as I was sitting in the second row of my class, I could hear those words for the nth time in my life “you must know what you are passionate about and follow it, then you will not have to work a single day”. Every time I hear this, I feel like asking the professor, whether it really was his passion to come here and talk to us about it or before that, to be a professor at all.
.
So what is it about the most hyped word on earth? What does it have that drives millions on a journey inside their hearts only to find themselves lost, grappling with the facts or as they say reality?

Ever since we begin to feel the world around us, sooner or later, we develop a fancy for some things or may be the ‘ONE' thing depending on how our genes and our environment react. And life in that very moment acquires a different meaning.

But life by then already has so many meanings. Like it means to grow up and stand on your feet. It means to earn for yourself. It means to at least maintain the socio-economic level you have inherited. It means to make a career, and then make an investment plan and then a retirement plan. It means to make sense to the same world around you, who is too busy to be bothered by whatever you do. And at the end of the day, it means to be happy.

If only you try to add a little of the word passion to the above blend, the result is a concoction which not many can take it down their throat. It is not as difficult to prepare as it is to drink. You live day and night with it, most of the time not knowing what to do with it. In every sip your heart and mind are at a tug of war. There’s a protracted calculation of risk and return.

They say it requires a self belief measuring the sky, for the onslaught of ‘practical’ alternatives is heavy. But self belief minus opportunity is a bane (oh yes! they do say create your own opportunities!). Without it you are like a bonded labor. Imprisoned by your own belief; going on with the vagaries of life. You have committed deep inside to it and so you struggle with it each day. You face the world each day with suggestions. You face yourself each day with questions.

And sometimes the weird question “Why do I have this passion? Had I been freer without it? Are those around happy without it?
.
Amidst all this, a faculty for leadership tells me one day to be realistic. And I being to wonder again … how real can a reality get? Is her reality different from mine? Whose reality is more conditioned by the world ??


17 comments:

Shreyans M said...

A thought provoking and self introspective...
Still thinking ...as this entry has certainly touched "who am I" in myself and once I find it only then will do justice to your yet another (specially. influenced by me ;) ) blog entry.
Wait till I have it...

Sound of anklets said...

very well-written.
and thought-provoking too.

Vaibhav said...

Very well written.. Harsh realities nicely expressed..There is so much of pressure these days that most of us are really bogged down by it.. Still 'Passion' i think is something that is being followed against all odds....

Vikas said...

Hmmm... what a passionate and real thought! :D

theragsway said...

Well written post.. Even I have thought the same thing after hearing these words of the prof :-)

Gynowledgeable Ways said...

now thats what I call speaking your mind. Loved it!! Brilliant Aditi.How do I subscribe your blogs.very good ? :P

Santosh Venkat said...

We all just think about it. But you have written our feelings out. Hats off...

Unknown said...

Wht a passionate thought :)
... being bonded to passion is smtimes good .. at least u get sm direction in life ...
ur passion for blogging helped u pen down this awesome thought :)

varun.... said...

U have written the minds & thoughts of many ppl.....many engineers & MBAs i come across share that they dont wana do what they are doing rather they are passionate abt one thing or the other ......they must read this & get inspired to take the plunge into their passion...i believe we will have society full of happy, motivated ppl who are more dedicated towards life

Aakash said...

my customary comment :p
all said and done, just discover ur passion in whtever u do.... rather than searching for it everywhere... create it....

ATB!

Unknown said...

Woah! You surprise me every time!! Awesome stuff re! Each time you reveal a diff shade of talent... :)

Sushant G. said...

And sometimes the weird question “Why do I have this passion? Had I been freer without it? Are those around happy without it? ”

You hit the bulls eye with the question. I really feel at times that I would have been freer without my passion, especially when I see myself struggling to keep it alive, while seeing others happy because they dont have it and so dont have to fight for it.

But then, when you take ur passion out of urself, does it leave you as you?

Stripping your passion off yourself is like stripping your identity away. You may see your face in the mirror, but you will not be able to recognize yourself

Unknown said...

Aditi, you said true things about life and I could relate it very much with my life and my family. Passion overcomes all hurdles. In fact its challenge and feels good when u do what ur passionate abt.

All the best. Keep writing more.

Linus said...

Well written. I think life's useless unless we have a passion for something.. n pursue it!

Aishwarya Pratap said...

well written....thought provoking....passionate and real....:)
it was first blog with hint of your management education ...no doubt...refreshing and different....
expecting one hardcore management lesson next time:)

Nikhil said...

"Why do I have this passion?"
"was I freer without it?"
Nail on the head!
Well, my take, because I'm seeing it coming : Every once in a while, just like our occupation, we need to take a break from our passion as well. It's not a bad thing, but the break is as necessary as a good night's sleep for rejuventaion, re-alignment and to do things differently. The last thing is most important, as, you'd suggested, sometimes things are just not working out. Our passion isn't wrong, but we can take a step back and check how we may do some things differently, try a different tactic to get more effective, take advice and so on.

So, my tip is: Don't go into either extreme of "following it to the bitter end" nor "call it quits and get normal again". I've felt many times that others are happier off, but this thought was trashed when they told me they envied the way I'm able to get the stuff done. Instead, take a step back, and then 2 forward; there can always be different paths to get to the same destination.

Naveen Garg said...

I couldn't stop myself from relating to this. Each word seems to be coming from my own soul... good work!