Tuesday, December 7, 2010

The other side of digital divide



On my birthday, I thought to gift myself a kindle. For the uninitiated (a lot of whom 
I met during last week), a kindle is a book reading device from amazon.com, which
can store thousands of books for you. So you have a nearly 300gm library with your
favorite books with you all the time. Since I am the kind of person who finds books 
simply irresistible, I knew I had to have it.

I had to get it from US since it was costlier to buy in India with shipping
charges n all. So I jogged my memory real hard to get all the possible
contacts in U.S. Through one good friend I finally ordered kindle and in
around two weeks I had my kindle in my hand. (Thanks Shreyans! :))

Gosh, it was one of the most memorable moments. The moment I held it my
mind swirled with the endless alternatives I was suddenly empowered with.
Now all I needed was to find a peaceful corner for myself and off I would
sail in my own world with my kindle for company. I didn’t have to depend on
TCS library or the local bookshops to get the latest books or any of my
favorite books.

Immediately as I got home, I switched it on, glanced through the user guide &
had my first book in it in less than a minute. With amazon.com the biggest online 
bookstore, at my disposal, I could have any book, whenever I wanted it. My joy 
knew no bounds.  The best part about kindle is that it doesn’t have the usual screen 
of a laptop or your monitor. It's electronic paper display makes reading absolutely 
natural. The eyes would never get strained.

Wooo ..and my mind started off on a journey again. Imagine kids going to
school with just a 300gm device in stead of 3 -4 kgs of books. So
liberating for those young shoulders! And why only school kids. Now I can
hit any of my favorite hangouts, treks or beaches without having to worry
about the extra load of books. And since I would buy original copies now, I
would finally be doing my bit towards discouraging piracy!
.
.
.

Almost a week later I called up my brother to share my experiences. I
didn’t have to tell him what was good about it, since he is a gadget freak.
But I had something to confess. And so I began …

'You know what bro. Every time I read from this kindle. I feel as if
something is missing. It’s great but it’s not the same as it was with
books. It’s like substituting a fruit with a capsule having the same
vitamins. I miss flipping the pages. May be they could have a touch-screen
to give that effect. And I can’t even see the previous page when I am
reading the next one as it is with the books. Ok I might be unreasonable
with this demand but it’s a device at the end of the day. And I got this
rude realization the day it choked & hanged up! C’mon! Real books never
hang!!!!!'

'May be I expected too much. But I don’t want to understand why I can’t read
from kindle in the dark. It shouldn’t have been a big deal to incorporate.
All my dreams of getting stranded on an island with my favorite books got
trashed.'

My brother had enough. He was like, ‘Sis I think you are still on the other
side of digital divide. I can’t say much except that you need time to grow
up on that and you need to give time to the poor kindle to grow up on you!
It’s the same with every technology, remember how awkward computers were in
the beginning’.

Well may be’ I persisted, to have the last word before he hung up, ‘but
do you think it would be the same feeling ... dozing off reading a book or
dozing off with a kindle! At least, I didn’t feel the same.’


(May be i should have titled it 'Confessions of a book lover!')





10 comments:

varun.... said...

agree cant dozz off with kindle :)

Aishwarya Pratap said...

so true...
Its so engaging to read your thoughts...as if you read my mind and write basis that.....except sleeping with book wala part..forgot when was the last time i did that:(...

Unknown said...

I wanted to leave something intellectual since the topic was about good old books and digital books... but then i liked my previous comment (Aishwarya's)....

Interestingly its so interesting to read the "Kindle" (read mind) of a person....even when reading a book... achha hai...

Chetan said...

indeed u shud hv titled it 'confessions of....'.

Thanks for all the crisp insight....leaves me confused.. 'To kindle' or 'not to Kindle' :)

tho i do agree with all what you have mentioned...but isn't tht feature of not being able to read in dark a good thing deliberately kept as it is to protect our eyes?

Vikas said...

Well.. Great read! And best of all.. its a light read with the choice of words & the context :)

And I agree with Chetan.. it leaves that abstract thought in your head..
Kindle or No Kindle.. haha :)

Cheers, keep it rollin'..

Nikhil said...

Awesome review, now we know the non-glaring reflective display is really something!

The few od compliants that you did have.. are going to be solved by Notion Ink Adam's tablet that's going to combine the best of iPad and Kindle. And in further products as well.

Whereas about the bendable book that you can take to bed... wait some more.. flexible displays are on the way!

Aakash said...

No matter how advance the technology becomes, u will never have an electronic device as a book with all its characteristics.... u can have the idea replicated and create a kindle or iPad or Tab.... but books will still have my vote.

Deepika Sahai said...

awww...i felt really bad upon hearing your kindle disappointment(s) that day in the cab coz i was regularly witnessing your level of excitement and eagerness of owning it. For gadget savvy people, technology attracts more than anything else on this earth so my full sympathy with you. But the idea of reading happy-go-lucky books like 'Alice in wonderland' on it in the morning is still better, so enjoy with it :).
About the post - You expressed your thoughts beautifully..liked the conversation part(show stopper)...:)

Aditi Only said...

@abhishek .. thanks!

@chetan - that's why i wrote 'i don't want to understand why i cant ...'; let them give the feature.. we can think about our eyes.. and you stop dreaming about getting a second hand kindle :P

@ vikas .. thanks papa! you might like it..

@nikhil - i really cant stand for long against a gadget freak (read you!)

@deepika - thanks .. :)my search for more such free books is onnnn.. !!

Anonymous said...

Good read but where did the free books come in your last comment??? Kindle mein toh original full paid version ke books laga le ;)