Friday, September 13, 2013

Bad roads & your career


‘Watch out’ cried Meera, terrified at the sight;
hoping to stop the car with an invisible force.
Reflexively I pressed the brake with all might
and steered it away from our course.
Releasing the clutch, my eyes fell into a crater
that was once a harmless little kettle. Greater
forces of nature have caused it to bloat;
leaving us motorists to ride, afloat.
“Why can’t they fix this up? It’s maddening.
Even after all the tax that we pay,
they have left the roads to decay?”
charged Meera, her face reddening.
‘If they continue to ignore this vicinity
these craters will soon merge into a sea’.

A bigger challenge awaits us each morning,
as a reward for completing yet another level
of this suffering, each more out scorning.
Sigh! And many a times it does trouble
to recall that I’d to leave my previous work
to check my lumbar from any serious jerk.
While the govt. mulled over filling a ditch,
it was time for me to make a job switch.
On doctor’s advice, I found something
close by. My calling took a sudden turn
as I immersed myself in corporate churn.
From a noble cause to routine dumb thing.
‘A transport network morphed my destiny!’
Meera mused, ‘Trust life to end up funny’
P.S. : trying out onegin stanzas for the first time after reading Vikram Seth's 'The Golden Gate'
Dedicated to dear Richa :)

No comments: