Thursday, March 6, 2008

Reading by the light .....



I stepped out of my room holding a lantern in one hand and a book
in
another. Slowly I squeezed myself through the gap between the
doors. One
extra movement and it would have like roared like some
giant.


Adjusting the wick to get just enough light, I then tiptoed out in the
courtyard. It was a very clear night. And the sheer number of stars
I could
see up in the sky overwhelmed me with myriad emotions.
Quickly glancing
through the courtyard, I found a straw mat lying
towards one side. Quietly I went
up to it; putting the lantern on the
mud floor sat down, legs crossed, on the mat.


It was just 8 pm but the world on this part of the earth was already
in
deep slumber. Hardly anything has changed. The breeze playing
with the
loose strands of my hair was still laden with the smell of
corn and wheat.


As the silence suffused my heart I took out the bookmark and bent
over the
pages. I pulled the lantern closer; eyes squinted as I began
reading.


It’s been almost seven years since I last pulled spinach from our fields
early morning or tried to hit the solitary mango hanging from the
mango
tree in the afternoons.....

P.S. : And this one again is a byproduct of a seemingly innocent chit
chat with my fren and now almost the co-author (well that's too
much to say actually :P) of this blog .. Aishwarya ... thanks a ton !!

5 comments:

Maurya said...

You can actually follow the music of "Hotel California" and make your own version of it :) I tried it.. It matches...
Too Good Aditi.. Keep it up!!!

ABHISHEK said...

As always, i am amazed how you are able to give such good literary treats. So much to learn from you.
Your Blog Msngr

prynkonly said...

how can u write so beautifully....
tujhe dekh kar lagta nahin hai ki tu aisa likh sakti hai ;)

Aditi Only said...

hey maurya ..... thanks ... sooo much .. too big a compliment !! but will definitely give it a try :)

@ abhishek - :)) thanks !!

@ priyanka - thanks sweetheart!

Nitin Jain said...

u sure u r an engineer.. it is criminal for engineers to be such beautiful writers!!