Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Confessions of a supermarket wanderer

I miss ...

Wandering around in those aisles, with nothing specific in mind
Wondering if there are others too on this planet, kinda my kind

Secretly startled on discovering a new sauce bottle on the shelf
Admiring its artisanal packaging and the ingredients by myself

Spinning out recipes in my daydreams for an epicurean evening
having a gala time in my kitchen stirring, sautéing and seasoning

Scanning through the shelves, a new cheese grabbed my attention
I googled the name ‘Pecorino Romano’; a crafted Italian tradition

Ancestral to exotic, the spices’ section stirred so many emotions
that unabashed, I had stood there for a while, gauging my options

From baguettes to hummus, it is a world of possibilities in there
Poring over the pack details for facts that I could use somewhere

Detecting the % of refined flour and sugar content in the cookies
I felt like a cop, out to take on the pranksters just as in the movies

I’d return home refreshed and all charged up to cook up a storm
Trying out a new recipe in my style, sans any strain to conform :)


No comments: